Sunday, March 10, 2013

Experience

That's what I'm going to chalk this past week up to. Experience. I went on a spring break vacation with my work family and it was really hard to not eat highly-processed foods. I feel like I do so well at home because I am in control of what is in the house, but being at a resort, in a different country, is a totally different story. I brought 8 packets of my Whole Foods brand oatmeal (the only ingredient is steel cut oats) and about 15 Lara Bars. I, of course, didn't eat all 15 bars, but I brought them just in case I didn't have any other snack option. Luckily, we went grocery shopping, so I was able to get yogurt, orange juice and milk. The yogurt wasn't 100% up to my standards, but it was great for the situation I was in. The Oikos 0% Vanilla Greek Yogurt has cultured pasteurized organic nonfat milk, organic sugar, organic natural vanilla flavor. I prefer plain, whole milk yogurt and I add honey to it, but again, this was great for snacks and breakfast while on the trip.
Lunch, every single day, was a salad. I either had grilled fish or shrimp on it. It also had peppers, feta cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and olives. Yum. It was delicious!
 
Dinner varied every night. I never had french fries, potatoes, rice, bread or any starch. I typically had a fish with vegetables, but when eating out, you never know what they use to prepare it. Darn! When we cooked at home, I had a burger with no bun. Again, not happy about it, especially since Adam and I have cut out red meat, but it was either that or a hot dog. When it's out of your control, you choose the lesser of two evils.
 
My downfall? Dessert. I did so well the first couple of nights. And then I saw key lime pie on a dessert menu... The devil came over my body and made me order it. No, really... I think that's what happened! It was delicious. No, I don't regret it. Yes, I felt sick later that night.
 
I also had a few thin mints and chocolate ice cream. In my defense, it was Haagen-Dazs Chocolate and only had five ingredients!
 
 
All in all, I thought I did pretty well. I definitely could have done better, but I also could have done much, much worse. I also used the gym there, but it was no Blast900 workout.
 
All of this to say, I have a nasty cold now. A cold that the kids have had for a while and I have fought for so long. But as soon as my exercise and diet changed, I think my immune system plummeted. Yikes. Ever since the beginning of the year when we started cutting out highly-processed foods, we have been very healthy (knock on wood)... Just goes to show you that it's not worth eating... crap. For lack of a better word.

I cannot wait to get back into my routine. But so far, my day has only consisted of this...
 
 
Just keepin' it real, folks.
 
Thanks for sticking around during my hiatus the past couple of weeks. In the words of Fergie, "I'm back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment